Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 04:02:35 EDT 2006

--- Gili Bar-Hillel <gbhillel at netvision.net.il> wrote:

, but neither are as bad as my former
> roomie's maiden name,
> "Ng". Unpronounceable on a western palate. Upon
> marriage, she took her
> husband's name and gained a vowel and a half: she's
> now "Yang".

I've taught some girls with the family name Ng, they
pronounced it "enn gee" but that may have been to be
kind to westerners. iirc they were of Cambodian
origin. I've also met an Ng of Papua-New Guinean
ancestry who pronounced it in a way I could never hope
to reproduce - a bit like "thing" with a silent "thi"

Jon