[DWJ] Re: Althea

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 17:06:01 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/20/2006 1:53:55 P.M. Pacific Standard  Time, Minnow
writes:

So it  is!  Thank you.  Oh, but that doesn't work: first recorded in  1669,
according to the 1933 S.O.D., so Lovelace got to it first, 'cos he  wrote
"To Althea, From Prison" in 1642 whilst he was in the  Gatehouse.

Althea was a queen of Calydon, mother of Meleager (no, I don't remember who
Meleager is, apart from the character Uncle Meleager in a short story by
Dorothy  L. Sayers).

I'd always assumed that Alethea was a variant on Althea (or vice versa),  but
apparently not.

Helen Schinske