Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 16:44:54 EDT 2006

I wondered

>Did he [Lovelace]
>invent Althea as well, or was that already a name?

and Ania wrote

>No, I think that's a plant. Marshmallow, to be precise.

So it is!  Thank you.  Oh, but that doesn't work: first recorded in 1669,
according to the 1933 S.O.D., so Lovelace got to it first, 'cos he wrote
"To Althea, From Prison" in 1642 whilst he was in the Gatehouse.

Come to that, Vanessa is a genus of butterfly, since 1863, but Swift had
got to the name by 1723 when the woman for whom it was his pet-name died.

And we all (obDWJ) know what a clistoffer is.  :-)

Minnow