Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 16:27:10 EDT 2006

>Could you at least tell me why 'Samantha'? That seems a perfectly normal
>name to me.

Direct quote(in translation)  is:

"Sabrina - Ask your friends and family! When they've stopped laughing,
suggest Samantha. It'll be fun for the whole evening!"

If I'm allowed to add a bit of context of my own, the book is Swedish, and
very American-sounding names like Samantha are a bit on the trashy side. You
might suspect that the parents are trying to sound "cool" and perhaps even
that they've chosen it from a soap (or Samantha Fox).

So it's a class thing, I guess you could say. I know I'm bourgeois enough
that if I met a Swedish parent who declared his/her daughter would be called
Samantha, I'd have difficulty keeping my face straight.

Katta