[DWJ] Angharad?

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Sep 20 15:46:47 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) wrote:

> Lily Angorian, IIRC.

So far, that's my closest match to a DWJ alter-ego, I'm afraid (my middle
name is "Lili").  I doubt that there will ever be a DWJ Kyra, but I
suppose there could be a Kira or Kiera.

Had I been a boy, I would have been "Sean," which I'm quite content with -
it's a good name.  But I'm very happy that my brother was not a girl,
since my parents would have named him Genevieve or Giselle, neither one of
which I like at all.  Although neither of them end in "-a," unlike my name
;-).

Especially for a writer as prolific as DWJ, I always find the issue of
name choice fascinating.  Especially when there end up being duplicates!
I have to admit that I was a little disconcerted by their being an Anthea
in _Conrad's Fate_, because, you know, she wasn't _Awful_.  And then there
was _Time of the Ghost_.  Even though Howard is actually Will Howard, not
Howard Surname, I was still a bit confused by him at first, since before I
even really read the book, I opened it up while being in, "ooh, new DWJ
book" mode to a page about Howard and how he always drew pictures of
spaceships.  I wonder if the name "Howard" is somehow associated with
spaceships in DWJ's mind.

						---Kyra

---
"You may find somebody kind to help and understand you, someone who is
just like you and needs a gentle hand to guide them along."
					---Tony Hatch, "Downtown"