Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 15:39:10 EDT 2006

>Minnow wrote:
>
>>Attilla.  I have never heard it used in England and it isn't in any of the
>>"name your baby" books I have around the place, but it does exist.

Robyn suggested

>I think it's on one of those lists of things you shouldn't name your
>baby. You know, along with Milhouse and Adolf.

It seems a bit hard that Adolph should be barred, when it's a respectable
name of ancient lineage meaning "noble hero", but I suppose you're right.
Eric Partridge does warn against it, but only in the form "Adolphus",
because it now "ranks with Algernon and Cuthbert as comically pompous";
another of the books includes it but says it is "now rare, since Adolph
Hitler brought it into disrepute", and the rest don't bother to include it.

I always assumed that Milhous must have been Nixon's mother's maiden name
or something, not an ordinary forename at all.  Like my brother-in-law
being "James Thomas Macdonnell [Surname]", where the Macdonnell was his
grandmother's maiden name.

I used to know someone called Gengis.  He was Polish, and it may not have
been his real name, but that was what he answered to.  I'd've thought that
would be on the list of things you shouldn't name your baby, but maybe that
depends where you live.

Minnow