Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 15:39:10 EDT 2006

Charlie wrote:

>  Interesting. Are there any other fantasy names that have passed into
>common use? I can think of only two: Pamela (Sidney's Arcadia) and Wendy
>(Peter Pan).

Miranda (Shakespeare's Tempest).

Swift invented "Vanessa" for "Cadmus and Vanessa", I think.

I suppose one might include Lucasta, invented by Lovelace to be the object
of his poetry?  It seems to be in the books, and I did know someone called
"Lucasta" when I was young.  She answered to Lulu, annd I'm not sure I
blame her for shortening it: one could get a bit bored with being told that
people could not love thee dear so much loved they not honour more.  Did he
invent Althea as well, or was that already a name?

Minnow