Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 15:17:56 EDT 2006

I think Ilya might be a non-diminutive (cf. Lenin's patronymic Ilyich), but
the rest are. Misha=Mikhail, Kolya=Nikolai, Sasha=Aleksander etc.

In Polish the diminutives of male names most often end in -ek: Tomek
(Tomasz), Wojtek (Wojciech) Wlodek (Wlodzimierz ie Vladimir) etc.

And a vast majority of Polish women's names end in a. I can't think of any
that don't.

[rant] I really don't get it when people name their children (i. e. register
their names as) things like Katie, Ellie etc. Why not Katherine or
Elizabeth? They won't be little girls forever and with the full version
there is so much more scope for later variation. I also detest fanciful
spellings. A friend named her son Quinton. I tried to point out (tactfully)
that the spelling is Quentin, or Quintin. She didn't care. Now her kid is
saddled with a deliberate spelling mistake for the rest of his life. Grrrr.
[/rant]

Ania