Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 20 14:20:36 EDT 2006

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:

  >The name-books can't agree what it means (stammerer, crippled one,
light-bearer) nor the century in which St. Blaise (an Armenian, or possibly
not) was around, whether 3rd or 4th. Also they disagree on what he is the
patron saint of.

  The Bishop Blaise (or possibly Blaize) was a pub in my home town when I was small. Mind you, what wasn't? There were a lot of pubs: 'So drunk he must have been to Romsey' was a Hampshire saying. Anyway - just to judge from the inn sign, Blaize was intimately involved with sheep. More than that I cannot say.

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk