Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 13:48:03 EDT 2006

>Bettin-a ;-)
>
>which is an Italian-originated pet name for Elisabeth (probably by way of
>Elisabetta - Elisabettina)
>which is why St. Elisabeth is my name's saint (or however that's called in
>English)

I think it's called one's patron saint, just as if one were a whole class
of people such as carpenters or bell-ringers, or a condition like toothache
or the postal system.

And the day on which the saint is celebrated is called one's name-day.

But do tell: *which* Saint Elisabeth? Hungary, or Portugal?  Do you turn
bread to roses?  It's important: you get a sort of extra birthday either on
17th (formerly 19th) November, or on 4th July, depending which you
selected.

Minnow