Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 13:47:54 EDT 2006

Gili complained:

>As a translator, unisex or ambivalent names in literature are the bane of my
>existence. How was I supposed to know that Blaise Zabini was a boy? :-P

'Cos Blaise was Merlin's tutor?

Why should anyone know that?  Um.  Maybe it isn't that well-known, at that.
Pity.

The name-books can't agree what it means (stammerer, crippled one,
light-bearer) nor the century in which St. Blaise (an Armenian, or possibly
not) was around, whether 3rd or 4th.  Also they disagree on what he is the
patron saint of.

It looks as if you are not alone in finding the name a bit of a puzzler, in
fact!  :-)

I would'a sworn DWJ used Blaise somewhere, but if you didn't know it then I
suppose she can't have done.

Minnow