Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Sep 20 12:12:35 EDT 2006

> (Actually, I went and looked in the books-of-names at this point, and
> apart from Attilla, which wasn't there, all the boys' names I found
> ending in "a" came from the Hebrew: Amasa, Asa, Elijah, Elisha, Ira,
> Joshua, Josiah, Zachariah and Zedekiah -- I'm counting "ah" as
> "a-really", but I don't think that's cheating *too* much.)
>
> I can think of several Russian men's names that end in "a", like
> Mischa, Illya, Kolya, Sascha...

The only person I've met called "Attila" spelt it with only one L.  He
was German - in popular nomenclature, a Hun...

I met a man of African descent (I've no idea what part of Africa) called
Bola.

But it will need some list members with a better knowledge of Old
English to confirm whether Anglo-Saxon really does generate men's names
like Haigha and Hatta.  (I think Horsa was the model for those.)

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432