Wed Sep 20 11:06:08 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) wrote:

|More DWJ girls' names to choose from:

|There are a lot ending in a, aren't there!

And Deborah added:

My friend the linguist has a nascent theory about why fantasyland

girls' names tend to end with "a" out of all proportion to girls'

names in the cultures that fantasyland emulates.  Perhaps it

deserves and entry in the Tough Guide. :)

And I pipe up:

Is the theory anything to do with Jubal Harshaw's theory?  As I remember
somewhat vaguely, he was dictating a story to his secretaries and named
the main character Angela, because the names ending with A implied a
C-cup.  (Stranger in a Strange Land.)

Alison