[DWJ] Angharad?

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 20 09:22:33 EDT 2006

Charlie (Lucy, as might have been) wrote:

>That's right - as I know because I had the same thought as Otter and went
>downstairs to check. *Is* there an Angharad? Oh, hang on, what about the
>teacher/fire demon in HMC?

Miss Angorian.

It might be unkind to call a child Angharad, because about half the people
who encounter it will probably pronounce it wrong, or spell it wrong, or
both, and that can grow to be a real bore after about fifteen years of it.
That's a reason for going with names that are reasonably familiar to the
culture one lives in.  It may not be a good reason not to use an unusual
name, and it may be vicarious cowardice or something, but it saves a lot of
hassle for the child if she is called by a name that most people recognise
readily.

Minnow  (well, at least most people know how to say it, even if a few try
to spell it Minna!)