Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 19 21:05:54 EDT 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

> I would also advise that you give your child a first name you mean
> to use: my first name is Margaret (after my grandmother), but my
> mother can't stand it, and so I spent the first twenty-odd years of
> my life (ie all but the past year and a half) trying to convince
> people that I really do prefer Elizabeth, or Lizzie.

If your mother can't stand the name, why did she give it to you? Did
your grandmother insist? (Or was it your paternal grandmother?)

Someone I know married into a family where the eldest son was always
named John - but only the oldest surviving John was actually *called*
John. All the younger Johns were called by their second name, until
each in his turn became the eldest and was expected to change to being
John. (If I recall correctly, her young son is now the only surviving
John, but she, having observed the results in the earlier generation
or two, has decided to continue calling him by the name he's used to
until he's old enough to decide for himself what he wants to be
called.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."