Being Elizabeth was Re: [DWJ] In which I satisfy the curious (I hope!)

O. Elizabeth Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Sep 19 15:49:06 EDT 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

> (I would also advise that you give your child a first name you mean to
> use:
> my first name is Margaret (after my grandmother), but my mother can't
> stand
> it, and so I spent the first twenty-odd years of my life (ie all but
> the
> past year and a half) trying to convince people that I really do prefer
> Elizabeth, or Lizzie.  trying to convince them that Lizzie is still an
> okay
> name now that I'm twenty-something is another challenge.  There's this
> class
> of people who automatically wants to shorten it to Liz, and it drives
> me
> crazy.)

I was named after my grandmother as well.  My middle name
is also Elizabeth and my parents called me "Betsy", which used
to be a much more common nickname for Elizabeth than it
is now.  [There were three Elizabeths in my grade school class,
and we were all Betsy or Betsey.]

But of course teachers and the like called me by my first
name.

After my mother died, I finally got around to getting rid of
my hated first name, and I replaced it with Otter.  But you can
call me Betsy if you'd rather.  I answer to either.

If you are or ever have been a girl, you know that girls are
aggressive. This is news the way the Code of Hammurabi
is news.

                                                       —science writer
Natalie Angier