[DWJ] Re: Character transformations

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 14 10:23:42 EDT 2006

sanlehto at cc.jyu.fi wrote:

  >I've done searches in different electric databases (such as Web of
Science, Academic Search Elite, ERIC), even via Google Scholar but,
strangely enough, not in MLA bibliography. So thank you very much for the
references! Most of them had also come up elsewhere, but there were a
couple of new references. It seems that nothing specifically on character
transformations, though.

  I'm curious. Are you interested primarily in character transformations in the sense of somebody becoming a reformed character - like the Ogre, for example, or Ginger Hinde - or the kind of transformation you get in a book such as *Hexwood*, where a person turns out not to be who they thought they were at all? Not that this is an either-or question, of course - some people (like Sophie?) do both. I'd guess from your choice of texts you're emphasizing the latter, though.

  Oh, and what does it mean to be working on this from a linguistics department? I've never come across it before: do you have to do some kind of formal linguistic analysis, or is it more like 'close reading' of the old school?

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk