[DWJ] Pullman v Narnia (was Re:Farah Mendlesohn's book - blatantcommercial plug)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Sep 13 05:17:45 EDT 2006

Minnow suggested:

> (Doctrine of free will probably cuts in somewhere about that
> point, and I do hope that Philip isn't indulging in some sort of
> predestination kick: it seems very unlike him.)

Do you mean me, or Pullman?  I wouldn't have thought it was like either
of us!

I don't hold the doctrine of predestination to be particularly important
in the Christian scheme of things.  This may be partly because I have
never heard a minister expound it in a self-consistent way, let alone a
way consistent with other Christian doctrine!

On the other hand, since I regard personal responsibility as (a)
impossible without free will and (b) a prerequisite to issues of sin and
salvation, Free Will is _very_ important.

The best unification of Free Will and Predestination I have met, which I
think is closely related to Lewis's beliefs, is that God, being
independent of time, can observe our freely made decisions and
predestine our fate to match.  But this is decried by those who _really_
believe in predestination.

ObDWJ who remembers that wonderful discussion we had on similar issues
in Time of the Ghost?

Philip
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432