[DWJ] Pullman v Narnia

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 13 04:57:48 EDT 2006

I asked incredulously

>>You mean they don't believe that he swam around for days on the open ocean
>>hunting sea-serpents, and then pursued 'em to the sea-floor to kill them
>>there?   Fie.
>>
>>I wonder how they translate "lofgeornost" mentally.  :-)

and Robyn responded
>This is a survey course, so sadly we are reading in translation (but not
>reading Heaneywulf). It's not so much the unbelievability of the story
>as the fact that he dares to speak of his own prowess at all that shocks
>them. Personally, I love Beowulf's little dig at Unferth, "well, I
>haven't heard anything at all about you." Very witty.

Being called Unferth must have been a bit of a handicap in life anyhow.
What sort of family names a son "Lack-spirit"?

I do hope you manage to get it through to these sweet reticent chaps and
chapesses that blowing one's own trumpet wasn't bad form in the days of the
Geats.

Minnow