[DWJ] Pullman v Narnia

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 13 01:57:06 EDT 2006

>Yuo mean they don't believe that he swam around for days on the open ocean
>hunting sea-serpents, and then pursued 'em to the sea-floor to kill them
>there?   Fie.
>
>I wonder how they translate "lofgeornost" mentally.  :-)

This is a survey course, so sadly we are reading in translation (but not
reading Heaneywulf). It's not so much the unbelievability of the story
as the fact that he dares to speak of his own prowess at all that shocks
them. Personally, I love Beowulf's little dig at Unferth, "well, I
haven't heard anything at all about you." Very witty.

robyn