[DWJ] Re:Farah Mendlesohn's book - blatant commercial plug

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Sep 12 16:25:56 EDT 2006

Deborah said...

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Otter Perry wrote:
> |I remember reading an article about Pullman in which
> |he vents at Lewis for not allowing Susan to go back to Narnia
> |because she had conventional pubescent interests.  A friend of
> |mine says it sounds to her like the reaction of someone deeply
> |involved and deeply disappointed.  That is, Pullman is deeply
> |involved and feels deeply betrayed by Lewis.
>
> Yes indeed.  To me, Pullman reads like someone who has had a deep
> and abiding love for lewis and lewis' christianity, because his
> anger reads like betrayal, not like something more distant.

I don't know enough about Pullman and the evolution of his views to be sure,
but the impression I get is that he had a deep and abiding love for the
Narnia books, and then realised/discovered the Christian allegory aspect,
and that - the Christian aspect - was, for the comitted atheist, the
betrayal.

But, whatever the betrayal was, I do agree that Pullman's remarks about
Narnia do read like those of someone who feels deeply betrayed by
someone/thing he trusted.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"