[DWJ] Character transformations

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Sep 12 05:45:08 EDT 2006

Sanna L. wrote:

>I've been lurking here for a few months now and finally decided to pose
>you a question, since you seem to be such a clever lot!
>
>The question is this: are there any articles, essays or whatever on
>character transformations in DWJ's novels that you would know of?
>
>The reason I'm asking this is that I'm doing my PhD on character
>transformations, gender and age in children's fantasy by DWJ and Susan
>Price (at the University of Jyv”skyl”, Finland) and obviously would like
>to know if someone has already written something on this subject.
>
>Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

If you get hold of Farah Mendlesohn's *Diana Wynne Jones: Children's
Literature and the Fantastic Tradition* (Routledge) you may find some stuff
in it that is relevant to your thesis; in any case it's a very good book
and well worth reading if you are interested in DWJ for her own sake.

I would have said that most of DWJ's work has character transformation in
there somewhere, if only because she tends to have people who grow up a bit
as a result of the events in the text and growing up is a character
transformation, so almost anything written about her work ought at least to
touch on this aspect of it unless the theme being concentrated on is
something else in particular.

Sometimes even the adults grow up a bit!  :-)

Minnow