[DWJ] Nettle Shirts again

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Sep 8 14:32:38 EDT 2006

To breifly revisit an old topic, I finally remembered to dig up the book
from which I knew the swan brothers and nettle shirts story.  It's called
Scandinavian Legends and Folk-Tales, retold by Gwyn Jones, and published in
1956 by the OUP.  It's rather a nice collection, and worth a read if you
happen across a copy.

(Though my memory of seven brothers was wrong; in this version there are
*twelve* of them, and their sister has to make not just shirts of
thistledown, but entire *suits*!  No wonder it takes her six years to do.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"