[DWJ] Re Getting Paid (was Giant Under the Snow)

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 5 05:28:37 EDT 2006

> On Sep 3, 2006, at 5:17 AM, Jon Noble wrote:
>> course to me. Mind you they do eventually GET paid.
>> Sounds to me like no one knows who is supposed to be
>> responsible for paying you.

No one was responsible for paying me. It was one of those Champions of
Literacy deals. In theory, the Champions get publicity in exchange for doing
our bits at schools and other venues, but in practice is is similar to the
Nestle deal (for which we DID get paid)... A (very) local newspaper sends a
reporter to take a picture, which appears in the (very) local newspaper.
Maybe.

The primary school I went to was good. The librarian put me in the library
and wheeled in four groups of kids in efficient succession. The high
school... well, they put me in a small room at the end of the library with 8
boys whom they had chosen because they thought they might benefit from a
workshop. 6 of the boys clearly didn't want to be there. One wrote - um - 3
or 4 lines in an entire afternoon. One of them asked me if I was famous. I
made my usual reply; "Have you ever heard of me?" "Nope." "Then I'm not
famous, am I?"

I'm not sure why any school would hand-select a boy for a writing workshop
with an author of whom he had never even heard...

And no, John, I'm sure you wouldn't do it. A disconcerting number of schools
DO, though. It seems daft to me, especially if they ARE paying, not to
prepare the children or at least pick some who want to do the workshop.

ODWJ - I need to cultivate a Chrestomanci vague look next time someone
springs this on me.

Sallyo.