[DWJ] Giant Under the Snow

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 07:17:22 EDT 2006

--- Judith Ridge <Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

> On 1/9/06 9:53 AM, "Sally Odgers"
> <sodgers at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

> > Sallyo - (just done my Literacy Week Bit in two
> high schools and a primary.
> > One school arranged it privately with me - and
> paid for my three days. The
> > other two schools were arranged by the Ed Dept...
> and payeth not. It's odd,
> > but I don't mind TALKING without pay so much, but
> find myself furiously
> > resenting the cost of the petrol! (earlier this
> month I did a five day
> > stint - again arranged from On High, and again
> paying no petrol money... or
> > GST. I figured out that I spent close to 10 hours
> driving that week.
> >

> That's bloody outrageous, Sally! What is the Dep of
> Ed thinking? Do they
> think casual teachers ought to work for nothing?
> Your fellow authors in my
> office are utterly outraged on your behalf.

A friend of mine who started working as a casual for
our (NSW) Dept of Ed had to wait about two and a half
months for her first pay, and of course when it came
it had a massive amount of tax taken out. Whenever my
wife who does casual lecturing for Newcastle
University starts a new contract it is six to eight
weeks before she gets paid. All  seems par for the
course to me. Mind you they do eventually GET paid.
Sounds to me like no one knows who is supposed to be
responsible for paying you.

Jon - who has just had two days off, with a person to
replace me paid for by the school, to work on a
special program for talented students. As I have no
fixed classes as librarian my replacement had nothing
to do so she spent the days helping me which made for
two very nice days work for her.