[DWJ] Nominate your favourite Carnegie and Greenaway winner bookof all time

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 10:58:02 EDT 2006

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Elizabeth Evans wrote:
> |So what _did_ everyone vote for?

I'm still trying to pick between *Tulku* and *Junk* - sometimes I decide
that it should be *Junk*, because it's a proper children's book and *Tulku*
is, well, not; it seems to me more like an adult literary novel which
happens to have an adolescent protagonist. (I guess it got classified as
Young Adult because the protagonist was a believable three-dimensional
adolescent, rather than having to bear the burden of *representing*
adolescence to and for adults.) But then I decide that really *Junk* is a
bit too rough around the edges, and *Tulku* should be rewarded for being
transcendentally beautifully written.

 I'd like to have voted for Jan Mark, because she's a genius,* but
unfortunately she's sort of a victim of her own brilliance, for me - I just
believe in *Handles* the way I believe in my own life, so I find it hard to
think about it as a crafted piece of literature.

I haven't read enough of the Greenaway winners to say - none of my favourite
picture books are on the list, and the only Anthony Browne I spotted was
'Zoo', which I don't know if I've read (I think he's amazing, though).

love, Ika

*I know the tense is wrong there :(