[DWJ] Books up for grabs; Milly/Millie.

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Oct 23 05:08:26 EDT 2006

Paul, replying to Ania

> > A propos Millie, she's Millie in TLoCC and Milly in CL. (Or is it
> > the other way round?)
>
> It is that way around. Although I gather that even then it is only
> some editions of CL that spell it "Milly", and they're all wrong.

Hmm.  I wouldn't say that, but DWJ would probably agree with you...

In CL her name is Milly, but in all other books where she appears she is
called Millie.  We have been told, probably by Minnow, that recent
editions of CL have had the name changed to be consistent with the other
books.

OTOH CL came first, and established the spelling of the name.  Then came
LoCC, in which she asked to be named Millie after the heroine of her
favourite school stories.  At this point - before any of the other
stories came out (I think - Hundredth Dream might have been around by
then, but I didn't meet it until years later) - we only had the two
books in which she appeared.

I assumed that it wouldn't have taken more than a week at her expensive
school for her to decide she _didn't_ want to be named after the girl in
the books, and change the spelling of her name accordingly.

This is consistent with the sort of school experience we hear about in
Conrad's Fate, but by then the short stories had gone with the LoCC
spelling, and fixed her name as Millie.

I still think of her as Milly, though.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432