[DWJ] Pinhoes, spoilerless

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Oct 19 04:16:02 EDT 2006

I'm ready to discuss, although I don't know if I'll have time to read
the discussion, let alone contribute!

> People have always divided over Jones's individual books. I tend to
> explain it as a "preference for myth layers" (Fire and Hemlock) versus
> a "preference for structures" (Archers Goon) --this is not about
> whether they contain one or the other, but which takes the lead.

That's interesting.  I have a preference for structures (Sudden Wild
Magic is my favourite), but I preferred Pinhoe Egg.  My first impression
was poor, however: it was only on re-reading that I realised how
compelling the story is.  Linear, yes, but compelling anyway.  Often
with a Jones book, I read it for the first time and then turn back and
start again.  I didn't like Pinhoe enough to do that, but a couple of
days later I found myself reading it again.  And then again a few days
later still...

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432