[DWJ] Pinhoes, spoilerless

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 02:59:30 EDT 2006

People have always divided over Jones's individual books. I tend to explain
it as a "preference for myth layers" (Fire and Hemlock) versus a "preference
for structures" (Archers Goon) --this is not about whether they contain one
or the other, but which takes the lead.

I prefered Conrad's Fate because I loved the world shifts. Pinhoe's Egg is,
I think, a myth layered book, far too linear for me (although fun).

My real issue, which arose with CF, is Jones's tendency towards "Drawing
room endings" where everyone is gathered together and things explained. When
I look back, she's actually always done this, but in CF it's too hurried and
obvious, and in PE, it's too *long*.

Farah