A plethora of gods (was Re: [DWJ] Dalemark quartet paper)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 02:21:17 EDT 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
To: Diana Wynne Jones <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:18:58 AM
Subject: A plethora of gods (was Re: [DWJ] Dalemark quartet paper)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:51:36 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I kind of take exception to the premise that polytheism is unusual in
>Western cultures. I mean, maybe 40 years ago it was. I keep meaning to
>write a paper comparing the Dalemark books to Small Gods by Terry
>Pratchett and a couple of other things which escape me at the moment. I
>think it's far more interesting to look at DWJ's ideas in the context of
>deity being created by belief, myself.

I've been trying to come up with other fantasies in which deity is created
by belief.  Pratchett, obviously, but Glen Cook's Garrett series has the
same fundamental idea (explored in detail in _Petty Pewter Gods_) and P.C.
Hodgell deals with it in _God Stalk_.  It's been a while since I read the
Dalemark books, but I was thinking of those gods in terms of being *shaped*
by belief rather than created.  Though probably the one implies the other.
Any other data points, anyone?

Melissa Proffitt

This was an important plot point is some L Sprague DeCamp fantasy novel, from many years ago, possibly "The Tritonian Ring" but possibly not that one. It would have to be some thirty years ago since I read whatever book it was and I think it had been around for some time then.

Jon