A plethora of gods (was Re: [DWJ] Dalemark quartet paper)

Wed Oct 18 21:18:58 EDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:51:36 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I kind of take exception to the premise that polytheism is unusual in
>Western cultures. I mean, maybe 40 years ago it was. I keep meaning to
>write a paper comparing the Dalemark books to Small Gods by Terry
>Pratchett and a couple of other things which escape me at the moment. I
>think it's far more interesting to look at DWJ's ideas in the context of
>deity being created by belief, myself.

I've been trying to come up with other fantasies in which deity is created
by belief.  Pratchett, obviously, but Glen Cook's Garrett series has the
same fundamental idea (explored in detail in _Petty Pewter Gods_) and P.C.
Hodgell deals with it in _God Stalk_.  It's been a while since I read the
Dalemark books, but I was thinking of those gods in terms of being *shaped*
by belief rather than created.  Though probably the one implies the other.
Any other data points, anyone?

Melissa Proffitt