[DWJ] Off topic: Neil Gaiman's Crazy Hair

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Oct 15 05:44:10 EDT 2006

Hmm. I don't usually write up my lectures, I prepare an outline/prompt sheet
for myself, but nothing I feel I can share. And even my outline is in
Hebrew. But here's the general gist of things: the issue of Pullman vs.
Lewis has been discussed numerous times. Part of my lecture was simply
summing up the history of this: how Pullman has gone on record claiming to
detest the Narnia books and saying all sorts of horrible things about them,
and defenders of Lewis have in turn said all sorts of horrible things about
Pullman. Pullman is the one who first called himself the "anti-Lewis". And
yet many readers of fantasy have tremendously enjoyed both the Narnia books
and the Dark Materials trilogy. What it boils down to is different religious
beliefs, or lack thereof. Pullman accuses Lewis of all sorts of things that
presumably have nothing to do with religious belief such as misogyny,
racism, snobbery and preachiness; but Pullman is responding to a simplified
view of Lewis' morality, where more nuanced readings are possible. Yes, they
have different beliefs, as can be seen by exploring some of the myths that
both of them have incorporated into their works: the eating of the forbidden
fruit in the garden of Eden, the concept of heaven. But to a reader of
fantasy who is neither concerned with promoting Christianity, nor with
shooting down the religious establishment, the differences between Lewis and
Pullman can appear superficial, or as no more than flip sides of the same
coin. Pullman rejects the concept of "sin" as promoted by the Church, but he
does not reject morality in general. Does it really matter if we do right
because we believe that we are being watched and judged and will be rewarded
in the afterlife, or because we believe that our actions have immediate
consequences and we must do right so as not to pollute the world we are
living in now? Theological scholars could spend a lifetime debating points
such as this, but fantasy readers can just as easily ignore them, as long as
there is a good story pulling them along - and both Lewis and Pullman are
master storytellers. Or something like that.