[DWJ] Off topic: Neil Gaiman's Crazy Hair

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sat Oct 14 11:12:35 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I thought you all might enjoy this home video of Neil Gaiman reading an
unpublished poem at the ICon festival in Tel-Aviv. The poem is called "Crazy
Hair" and was written by him in one sitting, as an email to his daughter
once when he was touring and wanted to write her something nice. Someday
Dave McKean is supposed to illustrate it so it can come out as a children's
book, but in the meantime he occasionally pulls it out at readings. The
first two lines that were amputated in the move to You Tube are: "This is
Bonnie, this is me; I'm eleven, Bonnie's three".

Here's the link:
http://israblog.nana.co.il/tblogread.asp?blog=24310&blogcode=5062956  (don't
be alarmed by the Hebrew, You Tube is You Tube)

ObDWJ: One of the two lectures I gave at ICon this year was about the
tributes and winks at "The Wizard of Oz" in "Howl's Moving Castle". I know
I've written about this before here, but I've padded it out enough to
sustain a 90 minute lecture, and the audience reacted very warmly. I think
this may be the first DWJ lecture ever to be given at ICon
(http://promo.icon.org.il/eng/). The question I was asked most frequently
after the lecture, was "when will more DWJ titles be published in Hebrew"?
(My other lecture was entitled, "Is Philip Pullman the Anti-Lewis"? And to
my great surprise, it managed to draw several dozen enthusiasts, despite the
fact that it was parallel to Neil Gaiman's reading).

Gili