[DWJ] Bananas

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Nov 27 19:08:30 EST 2006

Deborah wrote:

> What?  I can't hear you, I have a banana in my monitor!

And Judith answered:

If you were in Australia, that would signify you as a woman of great
means.
Bananas are worth more than petrol at the moment! ((The price of them
has
been blamed for the increase in interest rates<seriously.)

We were on holiday in Australia recently (you know, the home of tropical
fruit) and refrained from buying bananas when we saw the horrendous
price. In NZ we don't grow our own, and the imported varieties are about
a tenth of the prices we saw in Alice Springs and in the Melbourne
markets. However, strawberries were cheap and plentiful, even in Alice
Springs!
(Can't work a DWJ reference into that, unfortunately, so I have to
confess it's totally off topic).

Regards
Elizabeth.