[DWJ] Book recommendations (now long and rambly on Pride and Prejudice)

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Fri Nov 17 12:27:46 EST 2006

On 17/11/06 11:45, "Hallie O'Donovan" <hallieod at indigo.ie> wrote:

> Elizabeth:
>
>> I'd love some idea of why P&P is so good, as my 17 year  old daughter has
>> just read it and remains rather underwhelmed. She agrees that it is a good
>> book, but is hard put to understand why it is "great".  Part of that is that
>> the current advice to 'show and not tell' was not the way of doing things in
>> Austen's time. I suggested that perhaps it was that JA is so mush more
>> intelligent than those who surrounded her that she tends to survey her
>> characters from a great height rather than engaging with them, and therefore
>> we are less engaged than we are used to being. But literary criticism is not
>> my strong point. Any hep would be much appreciated, including being pointed
>> in the direction of some litcrit.
>
> Phew - talk about an enticing invitation!  (And I can even throw in
> an on-topic mention - not that being unable to would stop me.)
>
> First of all, I'm with Dorian - I read P&P when I was about 12 or so,
> after my mother handed it to me, loved it then and have loved it ever
> since - even after studying it in uni., which rather worried me
> beforehand.  It may not be that likely that your daughter will love
> it, but it's possible, and just throwing out some things that might
> intrigue her could help either way.
>
> I can't imagine that telling her that JA looks down on her characters
> would help her like it, however, and I'd take some persuading that
> this was the case anyway (won't even get into  *Northanger Abbey*
> atm, tempting though it is also).  One of the things for which Austen
> is highly praised is her development of narrative - specifically the
> use - almost invention - of free indirect speech/discourse and very
> subtle use of focalization.  F.I.S. is third person narration which
> slips quietly into the voice of a character, without saying things
> like 'Elizabeth thought' or 'she felt'.  But this actually makes it
> much easier to engage with the main characters, and means there's a
> lot less telling involved. (If you want convincing of this, then I'd
> recommend reading a Fanny Burney - nothing showed me so well how much
> JA brought the novel on!)
>
> I've no idea if looking at the way narrative structure is used to
> illuminate character is likely to make your daughter's heart beat
> faster, but it *can* be downright fun, spotting things which are so
> lightly tossed out that they're easy to miss.  One lovely example
> (which I'd not noticed over many, many reads!) is in a scene when
> Jane is ill and Elizabeth stays with her in Netherfield.  Elizabeth
> and Darcy are doing the intrigued-but-prickly dance, though she's
> observing him with less approval than v.v..  Bingley gets a direct
> hit from Darcy on 'the appearance of humility' and they lead on to
> Bingley's ability to be persuaded by a friend.  Elizabeth, of course,
> jumps all over Darcy for disapproving of this - his appearing to
> 'allow nothing for the influence of friendship and affection', and
> [...]

Fantastic - that is so helpful. I'll use it to discuss the book with
Meredith.

By the way, where should I send back Nick and Norah? I've struggled with
having a sensibly written reaction to send you, and felt too embarrassed to
send it to you.

This was all I managed:

"To be honest, I was really unsure how to respond to the book itself, as I
have a real aversion to repeated use of the f-word. Which meant it took me
ages to get further than the first page. (It was therefore ages before I
found your pretty card inside, as I kept avoiding the book. I've never
watched Four weddings and a funeral for similar reasons.)

But I have now read it, and persuaded my 17 year old to read it too.

I'm still not sure what I think of it, though I think I did enjoy it on the
whole. I certainly liked Nick and Norah as people, which is half the battle
for me. And indeed most of the other characters, apart from her ex, of
course. Even Tris came over quite well in the end."

If you send me your snail mail address, I'll put N&N in the post.

Thanks again.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com