[DWJ] Book recommendations

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 16 10:48:09 EST 2006

Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:

>And do you avoid Beethoven's 5th too? Enquiring minds, and all that...

  I don't, but these days I tend only to listen to the first movement, which still strikes me as perfect, instead of the second (which bores me, and I wish he'd inserted the wonderful slow movement of the 7th there instead) or the 3rd/4th, which is the most Bronte-esque by far.

  Even the first movement I listen to quite differently now, since my brother gave me an impromptu lesson on the way it's constructed (I don't think I ever heard the quaver rest at the beginning when I was younger - and what a difference it makes!).

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk