[DWJ] Book recommendations

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Nov 15 06:21:13 EST 2006

Ika wrote:

>Ooh! I hope you enjoy it - I absolutely loved it, and wish it had been
>around when I was a teen/preteen (as it was I suspect I got many of my
>preconceptions about sexuality out of *Wuthering Heights*, which, ew).

A while ago you wrote an eloquent post explaining why the Potter books made
you feel not just fed up but *angry* because they contained so much false
teaching.

*Wuthering Heights* has made me angry ever since I read it, and every time
someone starts in to say what a wonderful book it is and how much better
than anything by Jane Austen and so forth I want to scream and throw
things, or perhaps emulate its principal male character and kill a puppy or
two just to relieve my feelings.

I'm sure there are eloquent defenders to be found on this list: would
anyone like to have a go at explaining what is wonderful about *Swithering
Depths*?  *I* think it is melodramatic and self-indulgent tosh,
ill-constructed, full of inconsistencies and plot-holes one could drive a
coach-and-four through, and with the deplorable message that behaviour
including necrophilia and serial child-abuse is romantic, but so many
people I don't otherwise see as nitwitted seem to find in it things to
admire that I periodically go back to it trying to find what I must have
missed, and I always come away with the same question:

What *is* it about that load of old fetid dingoes' kidneys that appeals to
so many people?

Minnow