[DWJ] Book recommendations

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 17:54:11 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gili Bar-Hillel" <gbhillel at netvision.net.il>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones" <dwj at suberic.net>
Gili:  Can anyone add specific recommendations for books that are:

> A. new
> B. gripping, intelligent, imaginative, have a degree of humor and leave
> you
> feeling satisfied
> C. standalone, if possible
> D. slight preference for YA fantasy fiction, but anything goes

I really enjoyed Firethorn by Sarah Micklem- it is a no. 1 in a series,
though. I am not good at reviews but I will say that it reminded me of Robin
McKinley style-wise. Am looking forward to the sequel.

And on another subject- am I the only person who was disappointed with the
Queen of Attolia? I just could not see how anyone could fall in LOVE with
someone almost unknown to him, not to mention a very unsympathetic
character. I just couldn't make the leap. I loved The Thief but now I wonder
whether it's worth trying the King of Attolia or should I just sell the
first two on ebay and be done with them.

Ania