[DWJ] Book recommendations

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Nov 9 06:18:55 EST 2006

> I did buy "Dragon Flight" on my previous visit to London, but have so
> far not been able to get into it. I have a couple more of Funke's
> books at home, "Inkspell" and "The Thief Lord" (the latter in Hebrew
> translation), and none of them have really gripped me. But then, I had
> the same experience with "The Golden Compass" when I first started
> reading it, and now I'm a huge Pullman fan. So there's still hope.

Are you getting tangled with your titles again, or is there another
Funke book called "Dragon Flight"?  "Dragon Rider" was the one I loved.
If you don't make proper notes of titles, you'll end up with early
McCaffery ;-)

I've not read Inkspell/Tintenblut.  I need to have another go at reading
Inkheart/Tintenherz in German before I decide what language to buy the
sequels in.  But my first thought would be that perhaps you should start
at the beginning of the series?  I found Inkheart a bit slow-going at
the start, hence my difficulty reading it in German, but it gets much
better later.

The Thief Lord suffers from not being a fantasy until just before the
end, so the fantasy elements don't fit well.  But the very end - after
the fantasy section - I thought was excellent.  I read it in
translation, but I lent my copy to someone who never returned it, and if
I buy a replacement it will be in German.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432