[DWJ] Book recommendations

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Nov 8 11:48:16 EST 2006

Philip replying to Gili:

>Come to think of it, my copy of the English version (which I got simply
>to lend to people!) is somewhere out there.  Hallie, is it with you at
>the moment?  If it can be located, Gili, you're welcome to borrow it!

Yes, indeed it is!  I was awaiting sending-on instructions - and in
fact, if Gili's trip to London is bringing her to the IBBY
conference, I could pass it on in person.  (You going to be there,
Gili?)

>>  "Speed of the Dark" by Alex Shearer instead of the excellent "The
>>  Speed of the Dark" by Elizabeth Moon,
>
>Sorry to quibble, but if you are trying to get titles right, I think
>Moon's book (I agree it was good, but I found the ending weak) was
>actually called "The Speed of Dark" without the second "the".
>
>>  and Ibbotson's rather flat "Star of Kazan" instead
>>  of Stroud's super "Amulet of Samarkand"... that kind of thing).
>
>LOL!  Not read Amulet of Samarkand, but I know what you mean about Star
>of Kazan!  (I enjoyed it, though)

I don't. :)  But I enjoyed SoK in an entirely different way from
Amulet - or most other books I've enjoyed for that matter.  (And as -
almost sure - the first person to read-and-report on Amulet on the
list -

Many of the books I've been really smitten with recently have been
non-fantasy - Hilary McKay's Casson family books (maybe not *so* much
the most recent), Jaclyn Moriarty (ditto the last and to a greater
extent), and some both non-fantasy and US-only publications.  I did
very much enjoy the two Percy Jacksons (author Rick Riordan), which
are just fun.  And Helen Dunmore's Ingo was very good - haven't read
the sequel yet.  Kate Thompson's The New Policeman I'd recommend -
but *not* her newer one, The Fourth Horseman.

Oh, and Charlie's The Lurkers is in the shops now too!

Hallie