[DWJ] Book recommendations

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Nov 8 11:17:19 EST 2006

Gili enquired:

> Can anyone add specific recommendations for books that are:
>
> A. new
> B. gripping, intelligent, imaginative, have a degree of humor and
> leave you feeling satisfied
> C. standalone, if possible
> D. slight preference for YA fantasy fiction, but anything goes

I don't know how new it needs to be, but have you tried "Dragon Rider"
by Cornelia Funke?  I think the English translation came out last year.
I worked my way through the German original, "Drachenreiter", in two and
a half obsessive weeks, and it was well worth the effort.  This was my
best book of 2005, with Conrad's Fate a poor second.  (As for anything
else I read that year...)

Come to think of it, my copy of the English version (which I got simply
to lend to people!) is somewhere out there.  Hallie, is it with you at
the moment?  If it can be located, Gili, you're welcome to borrow it!

> "Speed of the Dark" by Alex Shearer instead of the excellent "The
> Speed of the Dark" by Elizabeth Moon,

Sorry to quibble, but if you are trying to get titles right, I think
Moon's book (I agree it was good, but I found the ending weak) was
actually called "The Speed of Dark" without the second "the".

> and Ibbotson's rather flat "Star of Kazan" instead
> of Stroud's super "Amulet of Samarkand"... that kind of thing).

LOL!  Not read Amulet of Samarkand, but I know what you mean about Star
of Kazan!  (I enjoyed it, though)

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432