[DWJ] all these new books

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 7 06:14:49 EST 2006

I've been reading, and posting, much less than usual because I've been
working full-time since last July. It's a new job, but I don't know if it
will extend beyond the 6-month contract I have for it. I've been working for
ACER (Australian Council for Educational Research) doing test development
(you can look up www.acer.edu.au if you're interested--have a look at
'Tests'. Also, I'm listed under the staff.) I really like the work I'm
doing, but finding full-time work somewhat exhausting. And it's taking me
ages to read what I'd have read in no time before. Of course I'm still
buying books, although I know I won't get to them for some time.

Still, there are some books I'm interesting in reading, and wondering if any
listmembers have read yet. Has anyone read:

I, Coriander, Sally Gardner
Fly by Night, Frances Hardinge
Endymion Spring, Matthew Skelton?

I've read _Magic or Madness_, which someone has already mentioned, and
really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series. I also
read _Od Magic_ by Patricia McKillip, which I loved, though not quite as
much as I loved _Alphabet of Thorns_, _Limits of Enchantment_ by Graeme
Joyce (loved it--charming and funny with some fabulous writing) and _A
Princess of Roumania_ by Paul Park, which I found disappointing, although I
loved its main idea. It's been getting glowing reports, which I don't think
it really deserves. I do want to know how it pans out, though! It's
apparently only the first of not three, but four books, and the first was
padded out to fit, which is one of its main faults. I also read _Shadow of
the Wind_ by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which I thought deliciously gothic.

I've love to know what others have been reading! I haven't got to _The
Pinhoe Egg_ yet, because I'm still waiting for Justin of Slow Glass to get
my copy! :-(

Ros