[DWJ] Pinhoe Egg -with small spoiler

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Nov 6 09:50:45 EST 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

|> !
|>
|I've been wondering, after seeing a number of people complaining about
|this book in the LJ discussion, whether the events/situation in Pinhoe
|Egg are in fact influenced by what happened at the end of the Merlin
|Conspiracy?

Huh.  This prompts me to think about something I have been
wondering based on a couple of the livejournal discussions about
the book, which is that some readers want DWJ books with
crushable boy heroes: adolescents or young men, Howl and
Christopher.  (Of course, if my theory is correct, there'd be
more love for Dark Lord, which has *two* generations of crushable
heroes, in Kit, Blade, and Derk.)  But what if it's less that
people want crushable heroes and more that they want young adult
books rather than children's books?  In Pinhoe, Marianne is too
closely identified with the reader for idolizing, and besides,
DWJ doesn't write that many female characters in that role. Cat
is too young. And Chrestomanci, here, is a bit more flawed and a
bit less present than he is in the other
Christopher-as-Chrestomanci books. In some ways, this is much
more of a children's book, with younger characters.

Except... you'll have to forgive me. I've been sick for a week,
and I'm dizzy, and my thoughts aren't straight. But Charmed Life
is absolutely a children's book rather than young adult, and that
Chrestomanci is definitely a figure to idolize. So there is
something else going on here.

In any case, Merlin Conspiracy is more of a young adult or even
adult novel.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at, here, except to knowledge the
distress on the part of some of the livejournal community members
about the ages in social situations of the characters.

-deborah
--
"Buffy, duck."
"What duck?  There's a duck?"