[DWJ] Pinhoe Egg, Ember Crinkle (Minor spoilers)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Nov 6 07:43:50 EST 2006

Minnow, replying to Sally:

> > Does anyone else think DWJ may have got some of Gammer's utterances
> > from the subject headings spammers use? I just got one headed,
> > enigmatically, EMBER CRINKLE
>
> Diana says:
>
> >>No, I didn't get Gammer's utterances from Spam.  I worked at each
> > one.
>
> To me that means that there may be *reason* in their unreason, and
> therefore they may be worth study to at least some extent.  :-)

At the end of the book, during Chrestomanci's questioning, there are
some translations.  I tried to translate some of the earlier ones along
similar lines, but didn't have much luck.

I think, though, that Gammer's remarks are related to (Bother, I've
forgotten his name)'s in "I Give You my Word".

DWJ is very good at this sort of writing.  In Time City, we get the
correct versions of Vivian's mistranslations, so it's a bit easier.  But
Marcus Green's (in SWM) are worth the effort to translate.  I've done
almost all of those, now...

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432