[DWJ] Pinhoe Egg -with small spoiler

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Nov 5 22:17:37 EST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:23:59AM -0600, shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> I just finished reading Pinhoe Egg, and am now on my re-read through. I wanted
> to share this small thought about it with the list, so am leaving ample spoiler
> space below:

> !
>
> What I enjoyed particularly was that DWJ started creating a picture of what kind
> of Chrestomanci Cat would be when he grew up, through his interactions with
> Syracuse and Klartch and the concept of dwimmer. This was a question I had been
> asking, since I knew he wouldn't be like Gabriel De Witt or Christopher Chant,
> but I wasn't sure what his style would turn out to be. After all, Cat still
> needed to find more of his sense of self before his personal magical style
> (other than left-handedness) could be revealed. I think I  like Cat's magical
> style, and of course, it fits nicely with his interactions with the baby dragon
> in Charmed Life.

I've been wondering, after seeing a number of people complaining about
this book in the LJ discussion, whether the events/situation in Pinhoe
Egg are in fact influenced by what happened at the end of the Merlin
Conspiracy?

Also, we do see that different Chrestomancis seem to have different
talents and attitudes toward magic. Gabriel de Witt and his staff are
blind to Christopher Chant's type of magic until it is brought to their
attention; would there be other kinds of magic that Chrestomanci
wouldn't be familiar with until someone shows up with it? I get the
sense that rule-boundness in Chrestomancis might have been the rule for
many iterations before Christopher becomes the exception.

And last but not least, can one imagine, say, Pictish Druids being
rule-bound and worried about things beyond the ordinary? (this is
relating to the explanation at the end)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net