[DWJ] all these new books

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Sun Nov 5 17:32:59 EST 2006

At 08:20 AM 6/11/2006, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

>I haven't read the latest Bujold yet (or Dick Francis!) but another
>one-handed hero (though with 2 arms) is Gen in King of Attolia, which I
>recently read for the first time and Really Enjoyed. To the extent that
>I came to work very sleep-deprived the day after finishing it. I blame
>my sister, who lent it to me.
>
>Another book I have seen around recently is 'Temeraire' by Naomi Novik.
>Has anyone on the list read this? What do you think about it? Should I
>try and get a copy from the library? After all I only have about 35
>books at home waiting to be read . . .

Yay for Megan Whalen Turner, one of the best recommendations from this list!

I thought Temeraire was great fun. The addition of dragons to the
Napoleonic sailing ship story was a great idea and works really well IMO.
It seems to be a very likeable book - in addition to reading lots of
positive reviews, everyone I've lent it to loved it. I thought the
characters were getting a bit stilted by the third book so will be
interested to see the direction the fourth book takes (whenever it comes out).

Emma