[DWJ] all these new books

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Nov 4 07:40:17 EST 2006

In <454C300B.3010101 at shaw.ca>, Robyn Starkey wrote:
>Anyone read the new Bujold? What did you think? I'm not sure.

I want the second half (or the other two thirds) before I judge the
thing as a whole, but on what she's given us so far I found it worth
reading.  It's got more going for it than the vast majority of the
fantasy guff that gets into print; for a start she can write with
reasonable style, and for another thing she makes her people believable,
to me at least.  I might get fed up with physically flawed heroes
eventually, I suppose, but so far she's pulled that off reasonably well.

If anyone wants to run a "how does her treatment of someone with a
missing arm compare with Dick Francis' Sid Halley?" discussion I'll
stand well clear, but there might be a couple of interesting
compare-and-contrast points to be made.

Minnow