[DWJ] Wind's Road, Lovely Libby, and the Swedish tall ship Gotheborg

Ulrika Isacsson ulrikamc at gmail.com
Tue May 30 14:49:57 EDT 2006

I live in Göteborg, the city that the ship is named after. I've been down to
see how this ship took shape, taking the tour every now and then. It was
really fun when she was put into the water and we were able to walk across
the gangplank (?) onto her. I've never thought of her in terms of Lovely
Libby, but knowing this I'll enjoy my next read even more.
//Ulrika

2006/5/30, Juliette Curtis <juliette at harvestroad.com>:

> Last weekend the Swedish tall ship Gotheborg was berthed in Fremantle
> harbour, just down the road from where I live in Perth, Western
> Australia. My family and I went to see her. Last night I was reading
> Drowned Ammet and my memories of Gotheborg made the book come alive.
> Wind's Road, the children's yacht, is ornately decorated in blue and
> gold. Gotheborg is more like the size of Lovely Libby, a grain ship, but
> she is ornately decorated in blue and gold like Wind's Road.
> Goetheborg is a replica of a Swedish East Indiaman. She is retracing a
> voyage of the original ship Gotheborg: Sweden to Beijing and back. She
> has elaborate carvings of lions and fish, which are painted in gold on a
> background of blue: the colors of the Swedish flag. Goetheborg was built
> with traditional techniques: all her cordage and wooden equipment eg
> blocks were made by hand. She gleams with the pride of the people who
> built her and sail her. There is not a speck of dust anywhere on her.
> And she smells of wood, salt, and tar. It's a wonderful intoxicating
> smell, which we could smell as far as 200metres from the ship. I'll
> never forget that smell.
> Wind's Road must be a lovely little boat. No wonder Hildy and Amil love
> her.

Ord - ger livet meningar