[DWJ] Wind's Road, Lovely Libby, and the Swedish tall ship Gotheborg

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Tue May 30 03:36:59 EDT 2006

Last weekend the Swedish tall ship Gotheborg was berthed in Fremantle
harbour, just down the road from where I live in Perth, Western
Australia. My family and I went to see her. Last night I was reading
Drowned Ammet and my memories of Gotheborg made the book come alive.
Wind's Road, the children's yacht, is ornately decorated in blue and
gold. Gotheborg is more like the size of Lovely Libby, a grain ship, but
she is ornately decorated in blue and gold like Wind's Road.
Goetheborg is a replica of a Swedish East Indiaman. She is retracing a
voyage of the original ship Gotheborg: Sweden to Beijing and back. She
has elaborate carvings of lions and fish, which are painted in gold on a
background of blue: the colors of the Swedish flag. Goetheborg was built
with traditional techniques: all her cordage and wooden equipment eg
blocks were made by hand. She gleams with the pride of the people who
built her and sail her. There is not a speck of dust anywhere on her.
And she smells of wood, salt, and tar. It's a wonderful intoxicating
smell, which we could smell as far as 200metres from the ship. I'll
never forget that smell.
Wind's Road must be a lovely little boat. No wonder Hildy and Amil love her.