[DWJ] Re: Howl movie vs. book Now with SPOILERS

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Mon May 22 19:38:23 EDT 2006

> On Sat, 20 May 2006, Mwa wrote:
>
> > Otter Perry wrote:
>
> > > SPOILERS FOLLOW

> > > I found Sophie's age variations a little confusing and will have
> > > to watch the film again [which I'm planning to do with some
> > > frequency anyway] to figure out if I can make sense of them.
>
> > Ah, well, me and my mum worked out that her age changes with her
> > love for Howl.
>
> I don't think that works. Consider, for instance, the scene where Howl
> shows her around his patch of the Marshes, where she becomes younger
> and younger and then is suddenly old again in a moment when she
> realises that Howl's thinking of leaving.
>
> My theory is that she's only old when she remembers to be. When she's
> happy, when she's living for the moment and not regretting the past or
> fearing the future, she becomes herself again.

I thought it was about being beautiful... I vaguely remember a line of
dialogue to that effect. When Sophie feels beautiful, she becomes young
again. When she is feeling self-conscious (like when Howl says he is
leaving), she gets old again.

Lili Wilkinson
Web Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 86647014
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             shawyer at mail.utex
             as.edu
             dwj-bounces at suber         Diana Wynne Jones <dwj at suberic.net>
             ic.net                                                     cc

                                                                   Subject
             23/05/2006 00:27          Re: [DWJ] Re: Howl movie vs. book
                                       Now with SPOILERS

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
             <dwj at suberic.net>

Quoting Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>:

> On Sat, 20 May 2006, Mwa wrote:
>
> > Otter Perry wrote:
>
> > > SPOILERS FOLLOW

> > > I found Sophie's age variations a little confusing and will have
> > > to watch the film again [which I'm planning to do with some
> > > frequency anyway] to figure out if I can make sense of them.
>
> > Ah, well, me and my mum worked out that her age changes with her
> > love for Howl.
>
> I don't think that works. Consider, for instance, the scene where Howl
> shows her around his patch of the Marshes, where she becomes younger
> and younger and then is suddenly old again in a moment when she
> realises that Howl's thinking of leaving.
>
> My theory is that she's only old when she remembers to be. When she's
> happy, when she's living for the moment and not regretting the past or
> fearing the future, she becomes herself again.

Yes. In the book Howl looks at Sophie's spell when she's not aware, and
comes to
the conclusion that part of the problem is that she's doing it herself,
that is,
she's comes to believe that she really is like an old woman, thus she
appears
like an old woman. I saw Sophie's changing ages in the film as harkening
back
to that in the book: when Sophie forgets about how the hat-shop made her
feel,
and instead becomes her true self, then the spell begins to lift in those
moments.